2011-05-27

A modest maid

One day Mrs. Smith's servant girl, Ellen by name, was sent down town l shopping.
It was getting late at night when she returned from the shops with various domestic purchases.

As she explained the transaction to her mistress she cried out suddenly, "There! If I haven't forgotten the ham and eggs for breakfast."
"That's a pity," observed the mistress. But then she added with kindly philosophy: "Never mind. The shops will all be shut now. We shall have to get along3 in the morning with bread and butter and marmalade."

The maid started. "And what shall I have?" she inquired.
"Well, Ellen, I suppose you'll have the same as we do," replied the mistress.
"Yes, Mrs. Smith," responded Ellen with some severity, "but let me tell you I can't do my work unless I'm properly fed."

No comments:

Post a Comment