2011-05-05

Only a fish bone

I have a good old friend who lives in a small house on the seashore near the town and port of B.
When I get my leave I sometimes go to see him and stay with him for a few days.
We usually get up early, take his old boat and go fishing. Very often we boat far into the sea, and stay there till dinner time. My friend knows a lot of fish stories and I like to listen to them as they are very interesting.
Here is one of them.

Many years ago a young Englishman fell in love with a pretty girl and wanted to marry her. About two months before their marriage the young man who served in London was sent to New York on very important business.
He wanted to come back in two weeks and promised his sweetheart to write to her. Time passed quickly and it took him about two months to do his work.

At last he was free and was going home. Before leaving for London he bought a beautiful diamond ring for his sweetheart. On his way to London he was looking through a newspaper and saw an announcement of his sweetheart's marriage with another. He got very angry and threw the diamond ring overboard.

In some days he was having dinner at a restaurant. While he was eating fish, he bit on something hard. "What do you think it was?" asked me my friend.
"Of course, the diamond ring," I cried. "No," said he, "it was only a fish bone."

No comments:

Post a Comment